Family and friends remember Heartland man who died in hiking accident | News
STODDARD COUNTY, MO (KFVS)- A Heartland man died in a hiking accident in Hawaii where he was stationed.
Michael Harlan, 27, did a tour in Afghanistan, and family and friends say he was proud to serve his country.
"He put everything above himself," said Jacob Lee, Harlan's best friend. "It was friends, relatives, family, country-he just really cared."
Harlan graduated from Southeast Missouri State University with two degrees.
Heartland News interviewed him back in 2009 about the war in Afghanistan. He supported what he and others were doing there.
Harlan is from Grayridge, Missouri, and was newly married.
Look for more on this story Sunday on Heartland News at 9 and 10.
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Stoddard County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse