Dexter police looking for phony officer | News
DEXTER, MO (KFVS)- Dexter police are looking for a man who pretended to be a police officer and allegedly assault a resident.
Authorities say someone's portrayed himself as a police officer assaulted 31-year-old Nicholas Griffin early Thursday morning.
Griffin told police he was walking home from a bar when a white Ford Crown Victoria pulled up and turned on a light bar. Griffin said the driver told him to stop and began punching him in the head.
"We were asleep when it happened," said B. A. McGuire, a neighbor. "My brother-in-law heard it on the scanner but we didn't know a thing in the world about it."
Dexter police say they checked with other law enforcement agencies and found none were in the area of the alleged incident.
The investigation remains ongoing at this point.
Copyright KFVS 2012. All rights reserved.
Top Stoddard County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse