Mother, son escape early morning house fire | News
DEXTER, MO (KFVS)- Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter.
According to Dexter Fire Department Chief Don Seymore, they got the call to the home on Adams drive around 4:30 a.m. He says the fire was likely started by a space heater.
Chief Seymore says a mother and her adult son were home when the fire started.
They got out of the house and the woman went to a neighbor's house to call 911.
Chief Seymore say the man, in his 50s, was airlifted to a St. Louis hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns.
He reportedly suffered those burns while trying to put out the fire with a garden hose. No word on his condition Thursday afternoon.
The woman, in her 70s, was taken to a Dexter hospital for smoke inhalation. Fire crews were still on the scene at 6 a.m. She was released from the hospital Thursday morning.
The home is heavily damaged. Chief Seymore says the fire started in a bedroom.
"About 4:30 this morning, we received a call to a dwelling on Adams Drive," said Chief Seymore. "We arrived on Adams Drive on the north end of the house, flames were visible throughout the roof."
The Dexter fire department is investigating.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Stoddard County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse