Advance High School to hold Patriotism Assembly | Community Spirit
ADVANCE, MO (KFVS) - Advance High School will be holding a Patriotism Assembly on Feb. 13 for its high school and junior high school students.
Diana Lawson with Advance schools says the idea came from one of the students who felt that Americans have lost the spirit of patriotism.
"She (the student) wanted to remind at least the student population that we need to do a little more," Lawson said in a press release.
The American Legion Post 63 will be assisting with the assembly. The Color Guard for the legion will be explaining the meanings behind some of the things they do including the 21 gun salute and the meanings of each fold when a flag is folded properly.
"This is a student driven assembly," Lawson said. "I think we need to let people see that school is still a place of learning, that great things can come about in school and that good things still take place in school."
Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Stoddard County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- State Treasurer Clint Zweifel returns unclaimed property, including to Southeast Mo.
- Old Town Cape announces 'Christmas Fun for Everyone' as 2013 Parade of Lights theme
- 1 dead after crash on LaSalle St. in Cape Girardeau
- Gov. Nixon proclaims May 18 National Kids to Parks Day
- Benefactors enhance décor at CJHS Tiger Fieldhouse