Veterans honored by Lt. Gov. Kinder | Community Spirit
CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Cape Girardeau military veteran Richard Cornwell was honored Monday by Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder.
Cornwell is one of three to get Kinder's Veterans Service Award in recognition of volunteer work done for the region.
Cornwell served in the Marines and the Navy.
Now, he volunteers five days a week, 10 hours a day at Southeast Hospital.
His primary job is transporting patients to and from the imaging department.
Cornwell says he enjoys the job mainly because of what he gets in return.
"I love to do it," Cornwell said. "It's the kind of work that I like to do. Besides, I love the wisdom of the patients. Older people that you can talk to. And every once in a while you can put a smile on one of them's face. Let them know that you care."
Other veterans honored by Kinder include Tom Love of Dexter and a posthumous award to the family of Jerry Seabaugh.
Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Top Stoddard County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ameren MO warns of possible 'scam artists' targeting customers
- Poplar Bluff Chamber of Commerce encourages businesses to participate in Curb Appeal Program
- Boil water order lifted for PWSD #4 in Wayne & Butler Counties
- Ameren Mo. joins MSHP in promoting use of life jackets
- 'Remembering Our Fallen' photo exhibit at Bill Emerson Memorial Visitor Center